Just mention the word Reddit to a social media guru and they’ll all tell you the same thing: Reddit is an incredibly difficult platform to master. But that’s the entire point of Reddit– it’s pretty much un-masterable. This certainly has its perks, after all, not every company has a savvy IT team behind the scenes manipulating numbers.
Reddit is one of the most trafficked sites on the Web, with nearly 164 million visitors. Links, comments and information from Reddit are also used by Google search engines. While everyone focuses on Twitter and Facebook, consider growth-hacking with Reddit.
Reddit encompasses a broad spectrum of demographics and operates based off of members’ votes (they like it, or they do not); an alluring incentive to honest, organic browsers seeking relevant information. With so many readers and participants, Reddit can be the perfect hotspot for businesses to drop content and land amazing results, whether that is through site hits and/or sales.
Reddit Provides Simple Niche-Targeting
Reddit pulls browsers from all across the globe. Even better- many of these visitors are drawn to specific, niche-related Subreddits, or specific sections of Reddit devoted to that demographic (for instance, \smallbusinesses offers business advice and help, while \busisnesshub provides industry news). Sound alluring? That’s because it is. Don’t join Reddit with the intention of manipulating the platform, instead, embrace it. Unlike other social media platforms, members (called Redditors) dictate the platform’s algorithms; hence, instead of manipulating bots, your business would be attempting to manipulate hundreds, if not thousands of people; a difficult task to say the least.
How Reddit Functions
While millions of individuals make up the framework of Reddit, the way that the platform functions is far more astute than that of Facebook and Twitter. Unlike the click-click-share-share platforms, Reddit likes obscure- entertaining- honest. Any small site pushing quality content has a shot at going viral. This can be both good and bad, for instance, some artists, business professionals, and new companies have exploded as a result of Reddit. In the same likeness, Reddit has virtually destroyed other businesses. Reddit isn’t a gambling platform, though. With a little thought and initiative, your online business can benefit from the exponentially of Reddit.
What Businesses Succeed on Reddit?
Online companies that aren’t boring or that bring nothing to the table. Vanilla just doesn’t work on Reddit. Anyone can think outside the box, and to find success on Reddit, that’s what you’ll have to do. Even better, if you aren’t having success, there are plenty of Subreddits devoted to helping you through the honest advice of the Redditors (your consumers!).
Advantages of Reddit
- Reddit provides an even playing field. Quality content tends to be upvoted if it is good regardless of how large your site is
- You can post and interact at your speed. Unlike Twitter, you don’t have to be constantly on the platform to maintain your company’s relevance
- Niche-related targeting is simple and efficient
- Less bloated; quality content is readily assessable to internet browsers
- Reddit can get you fast results. Peg Reddit’s hot time in the correct Subreddit and get an instant surge of website hits
- Your company will benefit from the SEO – Google sees Reddit
Disadvantages of Reddit
- One detrimental move and your business could come crashing down, or at the least, your account could be jeopardized
- Reddit is full of competitors and internet trolls, and sometimes they’re on a mission to crack you
- Reddit can be unpredictable
- Reddit is credited for its unflinching policy on freedom of speech. It’s easy to lose focus if being trolled on Reddit
Don’t Be Intimidated by Reddit
Obviously Reddit is huge for a reason. It’s one of the single greatest sources conveying trends, industry patterns and culture. There’s a wealth of knowledge lurking in Reddit, and millions of users utilize the platform regularly. Unlike other social media sites, Reddit is run by the people. In a way, Reddit dictates itself, so, once again, manipulating Reddit is not an option. Don’t even try. One whiff and your account will be destroyed. Instead, play by Reddit’s rules and offer something to the Reddit table- but don’t just throw anything out there.
Posting Blogs and Articles on Reddit
Blogs and articles have the potential to do extremely well on Reddit. The upside to this is that Reddit will bring in the traffic, and if the article is good, it will receive upvotes. Your blog will continue rising, with hits growing at an exponential rate. Again, articles should be posted in the correct Subreddit. For instance, an article about traveling should be placed in a traveling Subreddit and a blog about fitness might be delegated to an exercise Subreddit. Be careful to read the rules before posting. These are generally located on the far right-hand side of the site. Don’t be afraid to delete and repost in the correct Subreddit if you are called out for making a mistake. Also, keep in mind that if your article links to a storefront, Redditors are more likely to downvote it (they came to read, not buy). If this is the case, get rid of the overpowering adverts on the blog or minimize them. Place them strategically. Keep it professional and make certain to have that first impression be nice and organic. They’ll stay and read (and then hopefully shop!).
Advertising on Reddit
Again, bring something to the table or the Redditors won’t bite. Coupons or special promos directed specifically towards the platform do well. Reddit loves coupons; however, you must once again put yourself in the shoes of the intellectual consumer. Posting coupons and promotions in the wrong Subreddits can get your account deleted, flagged, attacked… Reddit hates spam. So don’t be spam. Be where you should be at the right time and follow the rules in the sidebars.
Successfully Posting on Reddit
To garner maximum results, first build a Reddit account. Select a username that is either that of your company or something unique or niche-related. Never use your real name.
Start posting niche-related content to build points. Obviously your business does not want to promote other websites offering similar services, so find something similar that doesn’t affect your reputation or facilitate your competition. For instance, if your website sells scented candles, you could post articles about meditation, gardening or decorating from a third-party source.
Once you have a ‘stream-worthy’ profile with points (also called Reddit Karma), start posting your stuff. Make sure that your link titles are friendly, streamlined, short and alluring. The linked headline is imperative. Many Redditors will upvote and downvote without even clicking on the link.
Reddit Tips – What to Do
- Do research each Subreddit’s hot times. Post during these intervals (intervals can vary by niche. Do your research and observe)
- Do participate in conversations for Comment Karma, but remain professional and always offer something unique to what you put out
- Do sync Reddit with your sites and promote Reddit on other social media platforms; however, do NOT promote other social media platforms on Reddit
- Do flair your Reddit posts. This will help you garner more points. Redditors like seeing that you took the time to label your submission and that you didn’t just toss something their way
- Do offer freebies and contests if you sell goods. Collect their business. The more your posts are up-voted, the more impressions your brand name and website will make
- Do consider SEO when posting on Reddit. Link titles and text can be found via Google’s search engine
- Do keep in mind that you might be confused for the first week or so. Keep researching, keep observing. It will all make sense. Reddit is NOTHING like Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter or Tumblr. While all platforms use algorithms, Reddit has its own way of operating
Reddit Tips – What to NOT Do
- Never ask for anything on Reddit unless it’s advice. Don’t ask for upvotes, ever
- Never sync another social media platform with a Reddit link. Expect immediate downvotes. Reddit likes to function independently from Twitter and Facebook
- Never get snappy. Redditors are already disinclined to like businesses, so expect occasional banter and trolling. Don’t be afraid to defend your products/statements, but ensure that each response is well thought out, informative, genuine and polite
- Never post in the wrong Subreddit for a quick ‘pop’. It won’t happen and you’ll risk having your account deleted
Reddit is a realm all its own. Some of the most intelligent and passionate people can be found on Reddit, and while some individuals use Reddit solely for entertainment, millions of other users are just… browsing. These can be potential customers if you play your cards right. If you play nice on Reddit and follow the rules, Reddit will be kind to you. Reddit provides its users with stretch room, where literally anyone can go viral at any given moment. Overall, the platform is incredible and the possibilities are endless. When the playing fields are open- anyone has a shot, and that can be extremely advantageous to new, growing businesses.